View full size image
- fund medical research;
- ease administrative burdens and improve patient care; and
- collaborate across party lines on cardiovascular priorities like the Quality Payment Program, Children's Health Insurance Program, team-based care, and more.
The Massachusetts Delegation meet with Senator Edward Markey, as well as his Legislative Assistants.
View full size image
Collaboration was a common theme throughout the conference as well and was an important element of face-to-face meetings with lawmakers and their staff. The Massachusetts Delegation included cardiovascular professionals spanning the entire field of cardiology, including Fellows in Training, Cardiovascular Team members, Women in Cardiology (WIC) members, and others. The combined voices helped to showcase the variety of challenges facing both the profession and patients.
Chapter delegates included Ami Bhatt, James Breed, Kathy Jenkins, Nino Mihatov, Ada Stefanescu, Malissa Wood and Kim Guibone.
The delegates stressed the following issues and ask for support of various bills and legislation:
- Foster innovation and research through increased funding for the NIH, the CDC and FDA. Research funding is crucial for the health of our patients in general, and in particular for children and adults with congenital heart disease, the fastest growing segment of patients with cardiac disease; the Congenital Heart Futures Reauthorizations Act of 2017 (S.477) aims to do just that.
- Cosponsor S. 1361 / HR 1155, to expand access to cardiac rehabilitation by allowing physician assistants, nurse practitioners and clinical nurse specialists to supervise cardiac, intensive cardiac, and pulmonary rehabilitation programs.
- Support the ACE Kids Act of 2017 aimed at increasing coordination of care for children with complex disease.
- Ease administrative burdens on clinicians by exercising oversight of Quality Payment Program (QPP) implementation, streamlining electronic health record (EHR) requirements, and facilitating smooth transition to new payment models - HR 3120.
Click on the images to view the full size.